Pages

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Gardening in the Heat Wave

We had several unseasonably hot days this past week, getting up to the 90s. I don't know why I decided that these would be the best days for gardening in the full sun, but I did.

One of waitstaff has a second job at Story's Nursery (my favorite place to buy plants) and she sometimes gets "plant rejects" - those plants that just didn't make the grade because they are too small or have gone too root bound. So she offer some of them to us. She gave us two flats of yellow and red onion starts recently. I don't really have a vegetable garden started yet, but how could I turn down these plant orphans. So I decided to plant them in our herb garden, spacing each one between the marigolds that I planted a couple of weeks ago.

IMG_0760.jpg


The chives are doing great, as usual, but we keep the trimmed in use for the Goat Cheese and Chive with Scrambled Eggs breakfast dish and the Steak Diane dinner dish that we are going this year. The clive flowers look lovely in a vase on the tables!

IMG_0764.jpg


The Peony patch is just about to burst out in pinks and whites.

IMG_0768.jpg


This year I have a bird buddy that sits on this lilac branch outside my office window. He is there most of the day. Sometimes his bird partner joins him. They have a nest in the Bayberry bush that is on the the side outside my window. But this bird will sit there and stare at me, or sing, of groom his feathers for a good part of the day.

IMG_0752.jpg


No comments:

Post a Comment